Every day I can’t wait until Friday comes so I have the time to work on my side hustle, but then it gets here and disappears and I am not sure what happened. I have so many ideas for my blog that I am spending so much time researching and writing ideas down that I didn’t even get a chance to do a lot of the things that I wanted to do.
Sometimes I feel like I am wasting my time or even avoiding all the things I should be doing. I tend to wake up and sit down with my cup of coffee and YouTube, watching all my favorite people and seeing what else I can learn from them. The problem is, I probably spend a lot more time on YouTube then I should. Do you find that you have more videos on your feed that you can get through? I started cleaning up my feed so I don’t feel overwhelmed, but my viewing time is still pretty high.
My second issue is spending too much time online researching blog topics. I sort of know where I want my blog to go, but I still have to narrow it down or even have a clear definition of what I will be doing. I keep reading that I have to niche down to get the right viewers or even any viewers. Right now I am finding this difficult because I have a concept, but not really a narrow idea. Has anyone else come across this problem? If so, what did you do to help with the niching process?
Let’s get back on topic. Working 9-5 and also doing a side hustle can be difficult in the beginning when you really don’t know what you are doing. I have started this blog because I know I wanted to help people. On top of that, my partner and I are also looking into other financial opportunities to bring us in some extra income. This can make for a busy weekend on the computer. In order to do everything, I need to implement some techniques into my day to get more done.
What are some ways that can help you get through working a 9-5 job and also working on your side hustle?
- Schedule your weekend– If you are finding that you are watching YouTube or Netflix for more time than you should, then pull out the calendar that allows you to write in what you are going to do hourly. This could be your google calendar, a planner, something you have printed off the computer, or just a piece of paper. Now start blocking out the time you need and the things you want to do. If you need to respond to messages on social media then schedule that time. If you want to watch your favorite show then block it into your schedule so you don’t end up zoning out for hours. Schedule it all…your exercise, reading, working, and even your shower if you have to.
- Take care of yourself – You might think this one is not that important, but we all need to take care of ourselves. This looks different for everyone, but you need to take the time to eat balanced, exercise, and even sit down with a good book or take a soak in the tub.
- Work on your side hustle during the week – Use your spear time throughout the week to also work on your hustle. You may ask, “How do I work on my hustle if I am working all day?” The same way you do it on the weekend. Schedule your time. There is time before you go to work and after work, but if it is something that you have a passion for then you will make the time. Even if it is an extra hour a day, it will help you focus a little more over the weekend because the load is not as heavy.
- Wake up earlier – Remember the saying, ‘The early bird gets the worm’. If you wake up an hour earlier, then you have an extra hour that you can get things done. Maybe you might have to go to bed earlier so you can have that extra time to yourself in the morning for the peace and quiet. Creating a morning routine promotes productivity. This is something that I am finding difficult, but I am working on it.
- Make a list – For all of you list makers, you probably already do this. But those that don’t like a list, this is something that you need to do. When I don’t make a list, I am all over the place feeling overwhelmed. Make your list and then organize it from the hardest to the easiest and then do the hardest first to get it out of the way. You can also organize it by what needs to get done first to least or from the longest to the shortest. Whatever works for you. Try them all out if you have to.
I hope that you have found something that will help you make your side hustle earlier for you. Even if you don’t have a side hustle and you are doing your hustle fulltime, these 5 tips will help aid you in your success. Leave your own tips in the comments below that have worked for you.